It is the process for obtaining the desired shape of the component by pouring molten metal in the mould cavity and allowing it to solidify.
In this casting process various steps are involved.
- Pattern Preparation.
- Melting and Pouring the metal
- Removal of casting and fetling
- Heat Treatment
Pattern preparation is the first step in the casting process.it is depending on the size and shape of the component.pattern prepared with either wood or metal.
Moulding is a main process in the casting process for making of cavity.
- Initially drag is placed in the inverted position on the moulding table.
- Pattern is then placed in the suitable position inside the drag.
- Parting sand is sprinkled on the pattern and all over the drag box.
- Facing sand is poured only on pattern and it is pressed thoroughly on the pattern so that every part of pattern is obtain.
- Backing sand is poured all over the drag and then rammed thoroughly. This is repeated till sand level reaches the surface of drag.
- Ramming should be done properly all over the drag to get a better mould cavity.
- The excess sand is removed by using strike off bar, to maintain a perfect surface level.
- Using a vent rod, vent holes are made which allows the air to escape.
- Now the drag is again reversed back.
- Cope is placed exactly above the drag and then parting sand is sprinkled over the pattern and sand.
- The sprue and riser are placed in position in the cope.
- Sprue is placed beside the pattern, whereas the riser should be directly above the pattern.
- Facing sand is poured around sprue and riser and pressed thoroughly to obtain steady position.
- Backing sand is poured all over cope and ramming is done.
- The pattern is slowly removed without disturbing the cavity.
- Reverse engineering method.
- Types of Geometrical Constructions used in Engineering Drawing.
- Types of Hacksaws used in Workshop.
- Types of files used in Machine Shop.
- Types of linear measuring instruments.
- Material Properties.
- Types of Stresses of a materials.
- Understand the System of Units.
- Types of Measuring Instruments used in Production.
- Symbols of Surface Finish and Scales of sheet Sizes.
- Calculate the Hole Tolerance and Shaft Tolerance with following the three pairs.