Comparator is a measuring device it is used for inspect the dimensioning of the objects. Comparators are mainly 8 types.
The Mechanical comparators are usually cheaper in comparison to other devices of amplifying.
These are usually robust, compact and easy to handle. These do not require any external supply such as electricity or air and as such the variations in outside supplies which are not affect the accuracy.
Basically mechanical comparators have linear scale which is easily understood. Usually for ordinary workshop conditions and these comparators are suitable and being portable can be issued from a store.
Types of mechanical comparators are.
- Dial gauge mechanical comparators
- Read type mechanical comparators
- Sigma type mechanical comparators
- Mikrokator type mechanical comparator
Dial gauges mechanical comparators
The dial gauge comparators are generally used for determining small variations in the dimensions of a work piece by differential measurement
The dial gauge micrometers are can be rapidly set for measurement and offer a wide range for direct measurement such as the diameter of fine wires or thickness of foils. These are also used for testing alignment, roundness and parallelism of the work piece.
The dial gauges are containing small indicating devices like dial scale and this is obtained through some kind of magnification mechanism (Electrical, mechanical, opto – mechanical etc…) It is an essential part and is used for comparison purposes.
Application of a dial gauge
- It is easy to measure the linear dimension with less skill.
- The dial gauge is checking the dimensional variations due to wear and temperature variations, which are impossible to detect by conventional gauges.
- It is extremely useful for quality control in the inspection room for precision dimensional control of tolerances where tolerances are very small, especially in mass production because the dial indicator shows the limits of dimension.
- The speed, positive visibility and adaptability of dial indicator gauges with accuracy and economy make precision measurement possible.
- The dial indicators can check the other dimensions of form like taper error, surface finish, alignment, thickness and roundness etc…